From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:05 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: RE: [T3] Water leaks?

On 19 Mar 2003 at 7:19, Vlach, Joe -CKHS wrote:

> Since the question is being broached, my 69 square is leaking. I tried to
> find the archive on this question, but couldn't find it. I appear to have
> water coming in from both the passenger and driver side. The best I can
> tell/describe, it's above the heater vent control switch; I think that's
> what they are called. I had the suggestion to clean out the defrost tubes.
> My car has the vent covers. So, I don't think water could get in there.
The leak
> happens while sitting, even on a downward slope. The water isn't dripping
on my
> feet, it's dripping and running down the interior, right above the heater
vent
> controls.

This is the same old problem. Your water drain hoses are clogged. They are 2

rubber hoses that run down each side of center against the "firewall" in
front
of the tunnel. You can completely remove them and clean them out. You may
also
want to stick a wire up there tomake sure that there is no debris blocking
the
drain hole that leads to the hoses.

I'm not sure what you mean by "vent covers" but any of our cars can get
water
in the airboxes when it rains. The secret is to let the water drain out.
When
these drains get clogged the water builds up in the airboxes and drips out
in
various ways. This is what you are seeing.

It is important that you fix this because it will lead to the destruction of

your car by rust if left unattended.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org