RE: [T3] eBay - Parts prices

> Part of me thinks that it's people's responsibility to check
> elsewhere to see if they can find a better price first.
> That's what this list is for. Also, if the guy with the key
> blanks can make $20 on two keys that he also has a box full
> of, more power to him.

In the regular business world its called 'price gouging'. You make it seem
rare and valuable just to make a large profit margin. You should sell
something for want is worth not how much you can get. I'm all for making a
healthy profit but if we use the key example, he doesn't tell you he has a
box of them...he makes you think they are the only set he has, then sells
them and relists another pair. If the bidder had known that, my guess is the
it would never got to $20.

>I'm selling a whole bunch of stuff on
> e-bay right now (not auto parts), some of it which is getting
> much more than I would think it should (and some getting
> less), and that money is going straight toward parts for my
> new 71 squareback. If it weren't for some parts getting more
> than they might otherwise get, maybe some people wouldn't be
> able to spend as much money on reasonably priced parts
> elsewhere for their Type3's!

That's my point, some of these auctions artificially jack up the price of
all parts. So that pretty soon there will be no resonably priced parts.
'Cause everything is 'rare'.

I agree with your freemarket ideals but I also like some social pressure on
people to be a little less slimey and have a measure of consumer protection.
And posting about each item would do just that.

Plus, if you set a nice reserve price  and it goes above that fine, you have
already let the bidders know how much you think it is worth, the rest is up
to them.

Sorry for the economics debate.

Jason Smith
71 Square FI AT