RE: [T3] Reverse Problems-Autobox 'Missing' Reverse

What year is your car? Autobox? Are we talking a 003 tranny?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:57 AM
To: type3-d@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Reverse Problems-Autobox 'Missing' Reverse

On 19 Mar 2003 at 13:28, Ian Ruinaard wrote:

> I hope somebody can help me with a problem that my Automatic Tranny has
> developed - It misses reverse.
>
> Initially when reverse was engaged the car would not move. It would just
rev as
> if it was in neutral. Fiddling the stick forwards & backwards caused it to
> engage, but sometimes it would jump out of gear with a clunk. I thought
that the
> cable adjustment may be out so I adjusted the cable so that the small
lever is
> pushed right back when the tranny is in Park. The problem seems to have
got
> worse. Sometimes if it has been driven about 5 miles the tranny works
perfectly.
> The car does about 10 miles a day - to work & back

It is possible that you have the same problem that Greg had: The lever on
the
inside end of his shift rod had broken its weld, so what you set on the
outside
was not always what you got on the inside. I'd expect this to give some
problems in the forward gear, too, however. If you run thru 1, 2, D, up and
down, does it always respond correctly?

> The Fluid level is about halfway up the mark, checked at idle
> The transmission works perfectly otherwise. The car did stand for about 8
> years, but all the fluid was drained & the filter cleaned before it was
put back
> into service.

Try bringing the ATF level up to the top. Also try running thru all the
gears,
to fill all the internal passages with ATF before you check the ATF level.

> It is a frustrating problem. I have contemplated removing the valve body
on the
> tranny as I thought it mat have a blocked port ?

It's possible. How did the fluid and strainer look when you changed the
fluid
before? It's not hard to remove the valve body, but you do need to be
careful
to keep everything clean.

> Any ideas. T3 Auto experts are far & few between in South Africa ?

Here too. Russ is probably the only one we have who can comment with real
authority on AT innards. Pretty esoteric stuff.

> The information transmitted is the property of Pretoria Portland Cement
> Company Limited

Perhaps they make an ATF additive?     ;-)

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org