Re: [T3] Hurst Shifter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> > I guess I'm probably preaching to the converted but I just recieved my
new
> > (old) Hurst shifter (from most of your side of the pond) and I just had
> > write to tell all.
>
> I've never tried one but I always wondered what the difference could be.
What
> do you see? Does it change the mechanical advantage, or are there parts
there
> which are just stiffer?

Where to start... Well the lever is different- less mechanical advantge so
shorter travel of your hand but not too short. The frame for the swivel is
very solid and the ball is fixed up and down- you have the pull-up thing for
reverse lockout, so the whole thing feels more solid. Plus the lever itself
is a very solid heavy casting (?) with a massive pool ball sized knob- feels
like it might have come out of a bus or something, so the actual weight of
the lever seems to help it push its way into gear- lovely! There is a spring
in there that forces the lever over to 3&4 side of the gate, and I think
this helps it pop into gear as well as you go over centre of it on each
shift. I'm not over keen on the flashy chromy looks and it definitely looks
like an addition, but it really does work and is a very solid quality
product.

Mark