RE: [T3] AT Leak

Understood.

> For example: You have an ATF leak. Is it really ATF or could
> it be gear oil
> from the final drive or engine oil? If it really is ATF, are
> you sure that the
> pan gasket is the source of the leak. The governor cover is
> actually a more
> common leak spot for an undisturbed AT. If you just assumed
> that the pan gasket
> was the problem, then you may be wasting time and money until
> you look more
> closely.

This I did verify. It's coming from the pan, I can watch it poor out as I
poor it in :) I cleaned all around the pan, plus it stops leaking once the
level gets below the union.

> Just make sure you inspect the old ones carefully for tears
> or crushed areas.
> This isn't magic. Just consider what is needed for these to seal.

Will do!

> And pay attention to the torque spec on these bolts; it's
> quite low and
> overtorqueing causes leaks by deforming the pan.

I have one of those old dial type torque wrenches with a fairly large scale
but it does clearly mark every 2.5 ftlb.

Jason Smith
71 Square FI AT
72 Fasty FI AT(at the crossroads)
http://jasontsmith.tripod.com/vw.htm