Re: [T3] AT Leak

On 17 Mar 2003 at 7:05, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:

> OK, yesterday I decided to change the AT pan gasket cause it was leaking. A
> little history, this gasket was changed about six months ago and never
> completely stopped leaking.  So I decided to change the pan and the gasket.
> The pan was from my other tranny that is not working, but does not leak.
> The gasket is the black rubberish kind from NAPA. Can you see where this is
> leading?
>
> 4 hours later I have it all together and it leaks worse than before,
> aarrrggghhh!!!!

You really have to inspect the cover and probably fix it. Most likely it has
been bent around several or all of the bolt holes. Look for a conical upward
deformity around the bolt holes. Use a ruler to test the rim of the pan for
straightness. Pick your best pan and straighten it. You may be able to do this
with a heavy hammer IF you are talented and careful, but a press is much
better.

When in doubt, I like to use large Belleville washers under these bolt heads,
these spread the force out over a much wider area than just the normal metric
spring washer.

Once you get it flat it will seal much better. You can reuse the old gaskets if
they didn't tear taking them off. I would prefer not to use sealant here.