Re: [T3] Late front disc pads

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> Okay, sorry. I'm getting different threads mixed up here. Can you measure
the
> width of the cavity that the pads fit in? If this width is different by
more
> than 1mm then this is not the same caliper.

They were exactly the same- I can't remember what but I'll measure them
today and post later. I remeber that the cavities were 62mm front to back
(width of pad 61.75mm)

> > I was just wondering if its normal for the extra 3-4mm gap on each
> > side- I don't think that my rotors could have been that much thicker
when
> > new. It doesn't look like the piston dust seal would stretch far enough
> > use up much of the pad.

> No, it is not normal to have this extra space. If these are late calipers,
then
> I wonder if you have a set of the late type 4 calipers, which expect to
get
> thicker pads. Otherwise you can check your Bentley manual and find the
wear
> limit on your rotor. I hope you aren't that far undersize.

Would these late type4 calipers work on there? That would mean longer time
between pad changes if they do ;-) The rotors look healthy enough- a good
10mm thick or so. (didn't measure them but they just looked OK- will check
later)

> All OE type 3 calipers came with the compensating pins. Dave tells me that
the
> type 4 calipers didn't get them, but I don't remember. Later replacement
type 3
> calipers also lack the pins. Pistons with the compensating pin mechanism
in
> them have closed fronts, while those without have just an open "well"
there.

I don't think they can be type4 calipers from what you've said as the
pistons have the filled in middle for a compensating pin (little conical pip
in the middle)

By the way, do you know what the purpose of those little plates that locate
in the pistons is for- I mean all I can say for sure is it stops the piston
from rotating and keeps the cutout in the same position. BUT why have the
cutout at all? My last car just had flat ended pistons that were free to
rotate ( it didn't have dust seals either)

Mark Seaton
'73 Fasty, London