Re: [T3] Late front disc pads

On 16 Mar 2003 at 10:38, Mark Seaton wrote:

> So how do you tell if they are in fact the right caliper? They look exactly
> the same as the ones I took off so I guess they are.

You can't. Ate used the same castings to make any number of different calipers.
In general, you have to take them apart to tell the difference. There are lots
of subtle things that can be machined differently: cylinder dia and depth, pad
cavity width and height, just to mention 4 that I can think of right off.

> No Jim, its Golf pads I'm using. As far I can tell these are NOS ate Type3
> calipers

Okay, sorry. I'm getting different threads mixed up here. Can you measure the
width of the cavity that the pads fit in? If this width is different by more
than 1mm then this is not the same caliper.

> I was just wondering if its normal for the extra 3-4mm gap on each
> side- I don't think that my rotors could have been that much thicker when
> new. It doesn't look like the piston dust seal would stretch far enough to
> use up much of the pad.

No, it is not normal to have this extra space. If these are late calipers, then
I wonder if you have a set of the late type 4 calipers, which expect to get
thicker pads. Otherwise you can check your Bentley manual and find the wear
limit on your rotor. I hope you aren't that far undersize.

> I wasn't sure if the late Type 3 ones did either- I'm sure I've heard it
> said that when they got the Type 4 calipers that they lost the compensation
> pin?

All OE type 3 calipers came with the compensating pins. Dave tells me that the
type 4 calipers didn't get them, but I don't remember. Later replacement type 3
calipers also lack the pins. Pistons with the compensating pin mechanism in
them have closed fronts, while those without have just an open "well" there.