Re: [T3] Oil pressure problem

On 14 Mar 2003 at 13:48, Wuzmop@aol.com wrote:

> 70 EFI Auto-
>
> My oil light flickers when the car is in gear at a light, it also has a knock at
> high rpm's when it warms up. Plenty of power, no smoke, idles fairly rough in
> gear. Here is what I've done so far: retorqued heads, cleaned oil cooler,
> cleaned junk around cylinders, sealed off intake leaks, new oil, valves
> adjusted, tune up, idles in neutral at 1000 rpm, replaced missing cooling tins,
> new sensor. The condition does not improve by raising the idle. Air control
> flaps are open. It does not lose power once warm, and does not feel overly hot.

Do a compression test, and use a screwdriver as a stethoscope to snoop around
and find where the noises are coming from.

> My next step is to check the relief valves perscribed in the idiot book, if that
> doesn't do it, I'll be prepping for a rebuild.

If the problem only comes up at a stop, then these are likely fine.

> The car has been driven by the PO with oil leaks and missing tins for a while,
> has the damage been done? Or am I on the right track before going for a rebuild?

Missing tin and bad bellows can certainly do permanent damage. Oil leaks are no
problem as long as the engine doesn't run dry.

Read your Bentley and get familiar with your engine. Make sure all the parts
are tight. Don't be rushed into a rebuild that you may not need.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org