Re: [T3] Heat gauge

On 13 Mar 2003 at 23:05, Traci & Neil wrote:

> 1. I would like to have a head temp gauge in my FI 69 Fasty? How do I go
> about this?

Some people swear by theirs, but I think they generally just muddy the waters.
Once you put on a sensor you have to ask how the temp varies with position on
the head, and which cylinder, etc. For most people this just becomes data
without meaning, done mostly for bragging rights.

> 2. I heard full flow oil filter (or was it oil cooling) is very recommended for
> longevity of the engine, can I get some clarification on this? what is it, how
> do I do it?

Yes, a full flow oil filter is probably the best thing you could do for your
engine. You'll find the details in this book:

How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines
by Bill Fisher
published by H. P. Books, Tucson, AZ, 1970
ISBN 0-912656-03-4
(excellent book, well written and researched)

This is a good book anyway, so it's worth getting for many reasons, even if
you're just interested in longevity and reliability rather than high
performance. You'll have to allow for the fact that the plumbing described here
is for a beetle engine so the type 3 must be done differently.

I don't have the elbow you seek, but I have a standard one I could sell you to
modify.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org