Re: [T3] no power

On 12 Mar 2003 at 21:41, Steven Ayres wrote:

> ChrisC=> a 1641cc that can't generate
> => enough power to get out of second gear
>
> The compression question is a good one. Re Jim's idea that this might be a
> defective FI distributor: you did say the carbs are stock, are they original to
> the car? If you do indeed have a '69 dual-carb car, which is not all that
> unusual, you will have a vacuum-only distributor, and a good one. You haven't
> said whether you tested the advance mechanism, but I expect that if it worked
> well enough before the rebuild and everything went back together properly,
> there's not much reason to doubt it.

He said that he converted to carbs from FI to get away from nitpicking his FI
system, especially the wiring harness. I suspect that this same dist was also
not working at that time and was part of the reason that he was dissatisfied
with the FI. As Leon and others will testify, if the mech advance is sticking
the FI cars don't run well. BTW, this is JUST as true of a carbed engine with a
sticking mech adv.

I suspect that he now has put a lot of time, money, and effort into a 3.5%
larger engine with a lumpy cam and can't understand why it still doesn't want
to take off. I'll bet the root problem all along was the distributor. The good
news is that the dist is easy to test and fairly easy to fix.

Yes, the carb setup problems that Steve suggested are also potential trouble
areas, as is the question of how he got to 1641cc. If these are just el cheapo
drop-in P/Cs then this may well be a step backwards.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org