[T3] no power

Hey listees,
       Its been a while since I've chimed in with a problem, but I'm particularly frustrated on this one.
       Last summer I was tinkering with my square trying to get more power from the stock 1600.  I had previously removed the fuel injection because I was sick of soldering broken wires.  I installed factory 32pdsit solexes with the stock distributor and noticed a flat spot in the power band no matter how I adjusted the timing, idle, mixture screws and so forth.  I even rebuilt the carbs twice.  Anyway this fall I started building a performance motor.  I used oversized pistons and cylinders, a c-35 scat cam, petronix ignition pickup, high rev valve springs, new bearings, over size oil pump, tapped engine block for oil filter, and I polished the ports and chambers on my heads.
       My engine is now a 1641cc that can't generate enough power to get out of second gear.  I immediately suspected that I put the cam in wrong, so I tore the motor apart only to find that the timing was fine.  I examined the engine for pinched bearings etc....only to find nothing.  I examined the cam to see if the gear had been installed incorrectly.  I compared it to the original cam gear and found that the peaks of the lobes and the timing mark lined up correctly with the stock cam.  The only pieces of the puzzle that remain are the distributor and the carbs.  Can someone point me in the right direction before I spend more money on parts without knowing where the problem lies?  My square is a 69 with a 71 engine block (except for the 69 vacuum advance distributor that I modified with the petronix).
       Tomorrow I am going to start cleaning the parts to reassemble the case.  I feel that the c-35 cam only magnified the original flat spot in the power band, and I was unable to compensate for this by adjusting the timing.  I found it ran  best at 7degrees of advance, but it still isn't enough to get out of second gear.
       If any of the listees have run into a similar problem, I would love to hear about any insights you might have gained.
thank you
chris causey
cool43whip@aol.com
69 square