Re: [T3]Tire pressure , was -Adjusting front stabilizer bar-

On 12 Mar 2003 at 9:21, Matthew_Russell@ziba.com wrote:

> i've always had the best performance experience running the tires at the
> top of the suggested range. lower pressures always feel squishy to me and
> allow too much side wall flex(depending on brand also i guess).

It depends on which recommended range you're talking about.

If you mean VWs recommended range, then I agree, and even go a bit higher than
that. I think VW recommended 17-19 psi for our fronts, depending on load, while
I generally run 20. I generally run the rears at 30, but I'll put more in them
if the car is heavily loaded.

OTOH, if you mean the max pressure printed on the tire, then that is about 36
psi and is much too much for our fronts. I really wouldn't want anyone running
that much because that's what the tire maker thinks the max safe inflation
would be for that tire carcass design.. It would make no sense to just position
yourself right at this boundary, because it has nothing to do with the handling
of the car, only at the edge of safety of the tire.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org