Re: [T3] Wheel noise?

On 12 Mar 2003 at 10:40, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:

> Occasionally when I back out of my driveway(small grade) I hear this
> droaning noise coming from what seems like the rear passenger wheel.  Could this
> be the wheel bearings or the drums? It does not happen every time nor at any
> time other than in reverse.  The car was sitting for sometime before I bought it
> and the drums and pads need replacing.

This doesn't ring any specific bell with me, but I'd check things over for a
loose bolt somewhere that allows something to creak and groan when the body is
twisted a bit. I'd look over all the bolts and bushings that mount the rear
subframe to the body. Also check the rear suspension: the swing arms and the
diagonal arms, bolts, and bushings.

The only time I had a noise like that it was from the front and persisted for a
couple of years until a front torsion bar broke and got replaced. I figured
that the bar was cracked and that the sides of the crack had been able to rub
against each other and make that noise, but your problem may be completely
different. Rear torsion bars DO occasionally break, but much less often than
fronts.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org