RE: [T3] Darksider?

>>Very true.  Just needs to loose the window decals, awful looking hub
>> caps
> and
>>the restrictive rear fender scoops.
>

> He sells those scoops for something like $100 cause they are "rare
> accessories" and tries to convince people that T3's need them to run
> cool?

Yipes... I suppose that's an easy point to make to people who don't really
know these cars all that well. When I first started getting interested in
the type 3's again in the last couple years, my impression from what
little I had heard about them was the following (#2 would lead me to be
very easily swayed by this "scoop" talk if I didn't know better):

1) The fuel injection was a miserable beast (ahead of its time, but very
immature) that required intense time and effort to get it to work right...
It was very finicky and your only hope was getting a mechanic that knew
these systems inside and out.

2) Because the engine was "stuffed" under the back of the car, it got very
little ventilation and not only did it burn out quicker than, say, a
beetle or a ghia, but if you got any leaves or anything in the way of
those little scoops on the sides of the car, you're heading for an engine
fire.

3) Stay away from the automatic transmissions. They are total crap and
you'll be rebuilding it every 50K miles.

I don't know if this is just me that got this impression from god knows
where, but these are the things I had heard... So what do I believe now
after being educated by this list?

1) FI is the way to go -- still a subject of dispute, but it's a marvelous
system that *does* need attention if it's not running right, but once it
does it's the best thing for a stock engine.

2) Keep your tin on, airways clear and do your regular maintenance and
there's not much to worry about.

3) Jury's still out? People have problems with "rough" shifts (especially
downshifts), but the auto transmission is pretty rugged and is actually
quite reliable...

:)

This list rocks!

Aaron

Sent Using eXtreme Mail Service http://www.xms.ms
300mb Mailboxes, POP/IMAP/Webmail, Autoresponders
Aliases, Secure Connections, And Much More.......