RE: [T3] Back in the saddle, and a few questions

On 10 Mar 2003 at 23:00, Parker-Durost wrote:

> I can't think of a good reason not to take all hazardous material to
> your neighborhood NAPA, AutoZone or municipal waste center for free and
> proper disposal.

There's certainly no good reason not to dispose of hazardous waste
appropriately, but adding non-hazardous waste to the hazardous waste disposal
stream adds an unnecessary burden to the hazardous waste disposal route, which
is an extremely expensive process. Such abuse of this system costs a lot of
money and may tempt lawmakers to do away with it altogether.

Lots of communities have the problem with mixed sanitary sewer and storm sewer
water, and this is a real problem that needs to be dealt with. I'm glad to hear
that Portland is doing so. Are they building storm sewers slowly? Or was this
just a problem with the homes in your area, where someone, sometime, thought it
would be neater to just plumb the downspouts into the sanitary sewer. If this
is the case, it's analogous to the question of what's wrong with adding non-
hazardous material to the hazardous waste stream.

For now, I still recommend disposal of anti-freeze and dot 3 & 4 via the
sanitary sewer. This stuff really is less noxious than the stuff we regularly
flush down our toilets. If you live in a community with the same problems as
Portland, don't do this within a few hours of a rain storm. In fact, you might
want to postpone flushing your toilets under the same conditions.

If you're still not convinced, do as I did, and call your local sewage disposal
plant and ask them. Let us all know what you find out. I would welcome a second
opinion.

BTW, have you ever noticed the non- brake fluid smell that comes out of old
brake parts that you pull out of the junk yard? I believe that is just the
smell of the old fluid biodegrading.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org