Re: [T3] Late front disc pads

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> I'm surprised that the Golfs used calipers that were anything like ours.
I'm
> gonna have to check my manual on this.

I'm not suggesting that the calipers were the same, but if the pads are the
same (ish) they must have had a similar 2 pins to hold the pads and maybe
the anti-rattle spring?
Just wondering really- GSF couldn't really help.

> BTW, if you see that your pads are not wearing evenly, that is a sign that
the
> pistons are seizing in the caliper bores.

This is a possibility as they look pretty crusty with heavy rust- I have 2
tatty but basically good NOS ATE ones that I think I might fit next weekend
after I get a chance to smootherite them.

 In your case, you seemed to imply
> that both pads on one side were thin while those on the other side of the
car
> were okay. If that's the case, I'd worry that the rubber flex hose on the
thin
> side was bad. You can check for this by opening the bleed valves and
seeing if
> brake fluid drips equally well from both sides. If the thin side also
drips
> slowly you should replace the rubber hose on that side.

I changed both the front hoses last summer for good quality german ones from
GSF so I don't think this is the problem. I haven't noticed the brakes
binding at all either.

> 2nd note: .....

Thanks for all the excellent advice Jim

Mark Seaton