Re: [T3] Valve stem seals ???

On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 17:54, phil cain wrote:
> If the valve stem seals allways come out before
> needed, what would be the problem with cutting the
> boss down enough to accept a set of real stem seals,
> like from a Rabbit engine. Would it be to hot for
> those seals. Something to kick around over the
> weekend. I have a set of head at the machine shop that
> I may try this on. Phil(someone had to have tried this before)

If you look at those "seals" as everyone calls them, they don't seal
squat. They push oil into the valve guides. VW started using them trying
to get longer life out of the valve guides.
As the valve is opened, "ring" is pushed up the valve stem. The next
time the valve opens, the "ring" pushes a little oil up the valve stem
and into the guide. That was the general idea of how VW wanted them to
work.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT