RE: [T3] Window seal treatment

This is long, but worth it. It's from
 http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=12

You can purchase the products mentioned through
them, or check local FLAPS. I had to go to several
FLAPS to find some of the stuff they talk about.
I have used a couple of these products mentioned,
and they seem to work.

Jeff '67 Sqbk

Tires Exterior Rubber and Vinyl Protection

There are two main degrading agents that attack tires
and rubber trim. They are UV light waves and ozone.
Both of these attack the long hydrocarbon chains of
the rubber and by breaking these bonds, shorten the
molecules with resulting loss of elasticity and other
problems. Tire manufacturers add two primary sacrificial
protectants to the rubber. To protect against UV, they
add carbon black. This is why tires don't come in
designer colors to match your paint. The carbon black
will turn white/gray as it absorbs the UV and dissipates
the energy as heat. Thus the basis of rubber parts
turning gray as they age. To protect against ozone,
tire manufacturers add a wax based sacrificial protectant.
The ozone attacks the wax and depletes it. As the tire
rolls, additional wax is forced to the surface of the
tire. This is referred to as "blooming". This blooming
refreshes the surface wax protectant. A tire that has
not been flexed will have the wax depleted by the ozone
and thus begin to degrade and suffer "dry rot". The raw
silicone oil that is the main ingredient in most of the
nationally advertised over the counter products may
actually dissolve the wax and be the cause of premature
tire sidewall cracking/failure. The quality tire/rubber
dressings should contain a strong UV protectant to
bolster the efforts of the carbon black and not contain
any raw silicone oil. Many of the nationally advertised
rubber and vinyl products also contain formaldehyde.
If you plan on having a funeral for your dash, then you
may wish to use one of these products.
<<Jeff's comments: this includes Armour-All >>

My personal favorite tire and exterior rubber/vinyl trim
protectant is Black Again. It is, in my opinion, the best
non-silicone oil based product to restore the jet-black
patina to tires and exterior rubber/vinyl. A white creamy
polymer emulsion, with a heavy duty UV protectant, it
works equally well on all colors of exterior trim. (They
tried calling it Any Color Again, but the name didn't work).
If raw silicone oil based products have been previously
applied to the rubber/vinyl, the raw silicone oil had
saturated the material. Black Again will help dissolve out
the silicone oil (this is good), but does not seem to be
able to do so evenly (this is bad). The finish may be
slightly "splotchy" the first couple of applications of
Black Again. The only solution is to apply several coats
about a week apart, and the finish will eventually even
out. An excellent spray on type of protectant for tires
and rubber trim is One Grand Exterior Rubber Treatment.
Spray on, allow to penetrate and buff off the excess,
leaving a medium gloss, non-greasy finish. Harly Tire Nu
is another spay on product with a high gloss finish.
Meguiar #40 is a vinyl and rubber cleaner and conditioner.
I feel it works better on vinyl than it does on rubber.
Leaves a medium gloss finish. Sonax Trim Protectant cleans
and protects exterior vinyl and rubber, producing a high
gloss finish. Zymol Tyre is a new product that leaves a
medium gloss and helps restore some of the black patina
to rubber. Wurth Rubber Care, Sonax Rubber Care and Zymol
Seal are designed for the "live" rubber door gaskets.
These products are rich in glycerin and help maintain
the flexibility and sealing ability of the gaskets.
A nice side benefit is that they help keep doors from
freezing in winter.

If you have any questions or if you need any further
information, please feel free to contact us.

© 1999 - 2003 Car Care Specialties, Inc. All Rights Reserved.