[T3] sizing snow chains

<x-flowed>
I'm going to buy a set of tire chains for the Squareback for a trip into California snow country. (I'm required by law to have them.) A listee highly recommended this style:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=1046

Now, I can choose a size like "165/70-15" on that page, and get a result that I could buy. However, before clicking "GO" on the selector, you can click on "Need Help finding Your Tire Size?", which takes you to this page:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=tire_size_info

Here it says,

''Many older European vehicles use a sizing standard called "Euro-metric" (185R15) . These tires, like numeric sizes, are expressed in two numbers: tire width and wheel diameter. The width of these tires is expressed in millimeters rather than inches. They are selected in the same manner as numeric tire sizes - leaving the second drop-down box vacant.''

When I go to the selector and leave the second field blank, choosing only "165/" and "15", I am told that there is no product available in the size I need.

The tires on my VWs are labelled "165R15" and "165SR15", like the "Euro-metric" labelling they describe in their tire selector.

I always thought that the lack of a middle number implied a "default" ratio of 70.

Do I just buy the 165/70-15 chains, or are they likely wrong for my 165R15 Michelins?

-Greg