Re: [T3] (not) starting on 1970 FI

On 30 Jun 2003 at 8:58, Big Al wrote:

> It finally quit raining down here so I could try to get my 70 FI, AT,
> A/C SQBK running.

> So, refresh my memory.  I remember that you are supposed to pump the
> accelerator pedal ONCE to the floor and release, then turn the key to
> start.  Right?  or was that turn the key to power on, THEN pump the
> pedal once, THEN turn the key to ignition?
>
> In any case, I tried many combinations and no luck.

In general, just turn the key ON, depress the throttle a bit and start it up.

> I can hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system and I can hear the
> relay under the back seat click once when the key is turned to power.

If you're sure that you can actually hear the pump spinning, then you should
hear 2 clicks and notice that the pump only runs between the 2 clicks.

> the motor spins at the proper speed to start, and the motor begins to
> ignite the cylinders, but it's not enough to sustain an idle on it's
> own.
>
> My next step will be to give it a tune-up.  Is there anything else I
> should look into other than the typical loose wire connectors on the
> FI system?

A tune up is a good place to start. Make sure that you HAVE spark and that it
is happening at TDC. It might make sense to unplug the FI trigger point wire
from the side of the dist and check the resistance between the center terminal
and each side terminal in turn. Each way, you should see the resistance toggle
from zero to infinity as you crank the engine with the starter.