From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] AT adjustment
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:27:27 -0500

On 29 Jun 2003 at 11:05, Gary Gamboa wrote:

> I've had my AT rebuilt and the shift points are not correct. Actually,
> shifting up to all gears is fine. Its the downshifting that clunks,
> especially from 3rd to 2nd. I tried adjusting the primary throttle bolt,
> turning it CCW 1 whole turn, but didn't notice any changes.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on this adjustment, which way to turn the bolt.
>
> '71 FI AT Square

Which bolt is this? If you mean the idle speed adjuster, this will have no
effect on the shift points.

You may need to study up on the vacuum modulator, which screws into the RR of
the bottom of the AT, just above the pan. There should be a hose attached to
it. Is that hose there and is it connected at the engine end? Make sure the
hose isn't kinked, blocking it off.

If all this is fine, the VM may need to be adjusted. This adjustment is unique
to VW AT VMs. Your AT rebuilder may not have known this. The technique is
simple and is covered in the Bentley manual. They should be willing to do this
for you if it is necessary. New VMs ALWAYS have to be adjusted, so if they
replaced yours (likely) and didn't adjust it (quite possible) then this is
likely your problem, IF the hose is in place.

Replacement VMs come with a note explaining that they have to be adjusted.

-- ******************************* Jim Adney, jadney@vwtype3.org Madison, Wisconsin, USA *******************************