From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Coil wire
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:10:03 -0500

On 27 Jun 2003 at 20:56, Gary Gamboa wrote:

> I have this wire. It goes from the coil through the wire holder (next to the
> fuel pressure sensor) to a connection on a plastic box on the underside of the
> engine deck. just across from the coil.
>
> I don't see this unit on the Bentley wiring diagram.

Is this a California 72 or 72 with EGR? If so this is a speed relay that
switches the advance in above some speed, or controls the EGR, or some such
thing. It may be shown in the special equipment pages at the end of the
"normal" wiring diagrams. Or it may just be omitted.

I believe these were the X prefix engines. Only about 4000 made.

I think the device you refer to as the "fuel pressure sensor" is just called
the pressure sensor. It actually measures manifold vacuum and has nothing to do
with the fuel pressure, although VW used the same kind of hose to connect it.