Re: [T3] Fuel injector leaks

On 25 Jun 2003 at 23:32, C.Rochambeau wrote:

> What struck me as odd however, was the fact that injectors that had tested out
> good a few times would decide they'd had enough and begin to leak (with the fuel
> circuit primed and the ignition off). I think some of these had been in the car.
> Is that common? Is there any recommended way to store these things in case they
> are not garbage? Submerged in gasoline perhaps ?(taking due caution with the
> electrical contacts)

One of the things that makes O-rings seal is the fact that they absorb a bit of
the fluid they work with and swell a tiny bit. Old O-rings will shrink smaller
than their original size if left out for a few months and allowed to dry out.
Sometimes all they need is to be allowed to soak up a bit more gasoline again.
I've seen the leak after drying out for a few monthis and then seal up on their
own once left with gasoline in them overnight.

OTOH, Keith points out that they can rust under the O-ring seal, and this won't
go away.

Leaving them soaking in gasoline is probably not the best thing for them, but
soaking in kerosene might be a very good solution. Neither of these will hurt
the electrical parts at all. They could be completely submerged.