From: jim [mailto:vjimw@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 4:37 PM
To: Type3
Subject: [T3] Idle/Stalling problems with SQBK

I have a 69 SQBK (Manual Trans,  '72 E FI engine, '68 dizzy, more details at
end of msg).

After the car has been started, but before it's fully warmed up, the engine
tends to buck
unevenly and does not have full power (25 mph in 2nd, tops). After about 10
minutes, the
the idle evens out. After the car has warmed up, randomly while stepping on
the gas after
stopping of shifting gears, there will be no power and it takes pumping the
gas a few
times for it to respond at all. From a full stop in some instances it stalls
and requires
starting the car over again.

I ran through the tune-up procedure and notice the idle was very low on
startup (600RPM),
I assumed the Auxiliary Air Reg. (AAR) was broken, but when I close it with
my finger
over the opening, the idle dropped lower to < 400.  I drove for a minute and
the idle was
up to about 1200 RPM and if I closed the AAR at that point, it dropped to
about 850,
where I set it.  As the car warms up, the AAR closes off and the idle is
steady at
850/900 (no surging).  This idle problem is consistent, everytime I start
the car, unless
the engine is already warm from being recently driven.

The off-idle problem (after the car is warmed up) is inconsistent.
Sometimes when I am
at a stop light and try to accelerate, the throttle does not seem to "catch
up" and the
car stalls.  If I put the clutch in and rev the engine (with minor delay
between pedal
going down and engine RPMs going up), I can prevent the car from stalling,
but it's a
tough manuever and the car usually stalls.

Part of me wonders if my idle setting is REALLY far off?  The hoses to the
AAR, the
plenum and the pressure sensor appear to have no cracks.  The first time I
tried to
adjust the low idle, I raised it from the cold engine 600RPMs to 900RPMs,
but once the
engine warmed up, it was at 1500-1800RPM.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Memory tells me the car has had this
problem a while,
but other, larger problems have probably masked these symptoms.  I know I
had similar
issues last winter and I replaced both temperature sensors which made a
marked
difference.

--Jim
Car details below:

1969 Squareback
1972 "E" FI system
1968 Dizzy, timed to 0 TDC, no shaft play, vacuum and mech. adv. working.
Dwell 46 degrees (no change in dwell with RPM change)
Both temp sensors check out with engine cold and warmed up
Valves set to 0.06"
TVS goes from 0 to inf. about 20 times when throttle pressed through range
of motion.
Fuel Press 30PSI at idle and in motion

=====
completely out of date yet still boasting genuine meat by-products...
http://www.machobeagle.com