Re: [T3] more water issues

On 25 Jun 2003 at 19:30, Gary Gamboa wrote:

> I got the same rain as Kevin from Somerville. My issue is the rear passenger
> side floor above the battery, just soaked. No water at all on the driver's side.
> I have my door panels off and the door drain hole is clear.

The the rear seat floor is the lowest part of the car, so water that leaks in
anywhere will end up there. Don't assume that this means that it came in here.

That said, there are many places for water to come in, both front and rear.
Rust damage is the worst possibility. Lift up the rear seat and look for
water/mud tracks under the rear corners of the seat: the perimeters of the
fender wells will rust thru, the supports for the rear seat back pivots can
rust thru (on squares.) The water can come in from the fresh air box and still
end up in the rear floor.

Water that comes in when the car is standing in the rain is usually from the
airbox. Water that comes in only when DRIVEN in the rain is usually from rust
thru in the rear, or from no grommet in the antenna wire hole in the inner
fender wall.

> Awhile back, I completely removed the deadening material and sanded/primered in
> the rear cargo area. The deadening material was wet and fetid. During the last
> rain, it was wet there again, I only have a carpet placed over so it dries fast,
> but why wet there? Could it be from underneath?

The most common cause in FI cars is a FI computer mounting plate which has been
improperly installed. If you can get your fingers under the bottom of yours and
get it to wiggle a bit then it's not in there right. Take it out and note the 2
spring fingers that should hook OUTSIDE the wall (outside is outside.) Once you
figure out how to install this correctly you will have your leak fixed.

This particular water leak is particularly insidious. It will rust out your car
for no good reason and you'll never know it until it's too late. All because of
some ignorant PO or mechanic who didn't think it was worth his time to put
things back together correctly. It probably takes me an extra 30 seconds to do
this right, rather than just toss it back in the way I usually find them.