From: "Ben Wampler" <webmaster@erupt.com>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Subject: RE: [T3] valves
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:49:44 -0500

>Both valves? There are things that can go wrong that can make one valve
not
>adjust, but the odds of something happen to both are pretty small,
especially
>if your engine still seems to run okay.

>The firing order is 1 4 3 2. You can adjust them this way and move the
dist 90
>deg CW between each one, or do them in reverse: 1 2 3 4 and go 90 deg
CCW
>between each one.

Tried it again today, same thing, they won't adjust. I just left them
fairly loose and put it back together.

The car started fine, but today I drove it to work and I noticed it had
no power and was seemed to be bogging really bad as if I was towing
something heavy (also slight smell of gas from exhaust). I took it home
and tried to adjust the timing with a strobe-light. The pointer lined up
with the mark to the far right on the pulley, muir's book said it should
be on the far left, top dead center. So I set the timing to TDC, the far
left mark, and now it's much worse. It can barely take off and it idles
poorly.

I pulled off each spark plug wire and they are all getting spark.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong or what
I might check?

Thanks a lot!

PS- anybody know what would make turn signals not blink, just light up
constantly? Flashers work, but signals don't. Thanks!

---