Re: [T3] Windshield wiper help

On 25 Jun 2003 at 11:01, Mike Wodkowski wrote:

> Apropos of this, I recall seeing the Bentley manual mention that if the
> wipers weren't going completely into parked position that the problem could be
> the ground connection. Wouldn't this just result in the wipers not working at
> all?

My first thought was to agree with you, but then I looked at the Bentley and
saw that it referred to a ground wire to terminal 31b. When I looked at the
wiring diagram for a 73 (which is the only one for which we get a complete
currrent track diagram) there is no terminal 31b, but earlier years get such a
wire. It appears that VW changed the way they did this.

With some difficulty I can follow how this works for 73, but we really don't
get much help for the earlier years. At any rate, it's clear that nothing would
work if the main ground wire was disconnected, but apparently VW switched the
grounds in earlier years, so the parking switch got a special intermediate
ground wire, while 73 got a special intermediate hot wire, terminal 53e.