Re: [T3] horn relay

On 24 Jun 2003 at 14:00, David Fox wrote:

>  Thanks for the help on my windshield wipers. I now have a problem with my horn.
> I never had it hooked up before so I never was aware of a problem. When I
> connected the two wires to my horn, it goes off. I have removed my gas tank to
> check wires but I donât know what to look for. I can see one wire going through
> the steering column and connects to the steering coupler and one ground wire
> going from my steering box to the frame.
>  The two wires from the horn go into a wiring harness donât know where they go
> from there.

There is no horn relay in type 3s, except possibly the Ghias.

Remove the center horn button. You'll see the wire coming up the center of the
column and plugging into the horn ring. Unplug that connection and make sure
it's insulated from everything else. Does the horn still go off?

The wire up the center is the ground for the horn circuit. If the horn no
longer blows then the problem is probably in the horn ring mounting. In this
case, I'll bet that one or more of the external star lockwashers were left out.

If the horn still blows, then the steering shaft, or the wire leading to it, is
shorted to ground and that will be harder to find.