Re: [T3] valves

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 19:40, Steven Ayres wrote:

> => All the valves adjusted perfectly, except on
> => cylinder #2, ... it fell out of the head and the
> => valves were still too tight
>
> Both exhaust and intake, right? One thing -- you can feel when you're
> turning the screws under spring pressure -- those springs are *strong*. Was
> it like that?
>
> Well, first doublecheck that you have the right crank position, of course,
> but I don't really expect that's the problem. If you're positioned
> correctly, the procedure went right on the other three, and you're
> communicating the problem clearly, I can only think of a few things it might
> be.
>
> Push rods too long (way unlikely, but easily checked)
>
> Wrong rocker arms (ditto)
>
> Rocker assembly somehow installed wrong (hard to do and get this result,
> especially on only one cylinder -- make sure it's square to the head)
>
> Valve seats recessing bigtime (on both intake and exhaust, and only one
> cylinder, would be unusual; the springs would be obviously sticking farther
> out than the #4 springs) How long since the last adjustment?
>
> I had a situation a while ago on my Type 4 engine where the keeper splines
> broke on a couple of the valves and the valve stems slipped a little bit up
> into the springs.  This made adjustment just about impossible because the
> springs were running into the rocker arms. You might check again that you're
> able to measure against the screws and you're not getting hung up on a
> spring or something.

A trick to adjusting the valves on an Air Cooled VW.
Put the engine on the timing marks. (either #1 or #3 doesnt matter)
Now get under the car, and find out which one you are on.
Adjust the valves on that cylinder, and the intake on the adjacent
cylinder. Adjust the exhaust valve on the opposite cylinder (#2 or #4).
Roll the engine over 360 degrees to the timing makes again, and adjust
the valves on opposite side (#1 or #3) and the intake on the adjoining
cylinder and the exhaust on the other. (#2 or #4).
Put the valve covers back on and you are done.
BTW, set your valves a little on the loose side just for the heck of it.
Closer to .007" rather than .005".

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT