[T3] Bottom-end Rebuild

Finally got the heads off my engine last night. The
heater boxes on the left side were about twice as
heavy as those on the right due to the oil that had
been sprayed all over them & subsequent picking up of
layers of dirt.

The valves looked fine on 3&4, so I don't think that
caused my compression problem. I think there was a
serious leak between the heads & cyls though because
there was caked oil & dirt on what is the outside of
the combustion chamber, past the "seal" between the
cyls & head. The cylinders are very rusted and caked
with dirt so that there must have been virtually no
air passing through there as well.

Inside the head exchangers on 3&4 was chunks of
charcoal. On the other side inside the HE was some
kind of funny type of acorn or nut that I've found
throughout the car. I imagine the charcoal on 3&4 was
once similar acorns.

The tops of the inside of the cylinders were scored
from the top to about 2cm down. I don't know if this
is normal. The cylinders were otherwise smooth to the
touch inside.

Oddly enough, the heads would probably be in good
shape if they were cleaned up. No visual cracks,
valves look like they're seating OK.

Given all that (probable cooling issues, rusted
cylinders, dirt everywhere), and knowing this engine
most likely already has 100,000 miles on it, should I
abandon my previous idea of just replacing the heads
and instead do a full rebuild as long as I have the
engine out anyway? Otherwise, I have new cyls, pistons
& heads and would just redo the top end...

My thought was since I really don't have the space (or
trust myself enough yet) to do a bottom-end rebuild
that I'd have the local VW shop build me a stock
smallblock and I'd do the rest? Anyone used Volkstech
in Burlington NJ? They have quoted me $400 for a
rebuild assuming usable case & crank...

Any opinions on any of this would be most helpful.

Aaron

=====