Re: [T3] Front shock bolt

On 20 Jun 2003 at 10:15, Daniel Baum wrote:

> When I removed my front shocks, one of the top bolts came out together with
> the inner metal sleeve of the bushing, which appears to be stuck fast to it.
> Does anyone have any idea how on earth I can get it off? I have tried
> heating it, holding it in a vice grip and whacking it with a hammer, etc,
> and it is still as stuck as it was.When I tried the latter all that happened
> was that the vice grip gouged long strips of metal out of the sleeve,
> indicating that it is made of some pretty soft metal.

Clamp the head in a vice to hold it stationary. Heat the sleeve quickly with an
oxy-acetylene torch, until it is a dull red. Grab it with the vice grips while
hot and twist it loose. Once it is loose you can dribble some oil down the bolt
to cool the bolt and so that the oil can wick into the space between the parts.
This makes a lot of smoke, however.

An alternative is to heat it up and drop it in a can of oil. This will draw oil
into the space and will often free up the parts.

> Alternatively, are these bolts likely to be available anywhere new?

I'd have to check to see if this bolt is anything special. It is probably just
a grade 10 bolt of a certain length and pitch.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org