Re: Front Axle Troubles (was: RE: [T3] Engine started! As did new problems...)

On 19 Jun 2003 at 22:03, Chris J Valade wrote:

>         I'm sure it broke because the tower pulled the car off of the
> jack and jack stand that were under the front left side.

I really doubt if this had any effect on the torsion bar. I agree that it was
crude and could certainly have damaged SOME things, the torsion bars are really
not likely to have been affected by something like this.

>         I cannot see any of the torsion bar, but instead I can see about
> 2" of the torsion arm which is usually inside of the axle beam--I believe
> what I am describing is that the torsion arm is about 2" out of the
> splines of the torsion bar,

The torsion bar goes ALL the way thru the torsion arm, so you should be able to
see it if you look at the outside center of the arm. The torsion bar should be
flush with the arm there. If there is a splined recess there, about 2" deep,
then the set screw has just fallen out and you can probaby reset it. If the end
of the bar is still flush with the arm, then it is most likely that the bar is
simply broken, thus allowing the arm to slide out.

My guess is that the bar is broken.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org