Re: [T3] What *was* that popping sound?

On 18 Jun 2003 at 5:53, Aaron Clow wrote:

> OK, newbie question #623... What is the torsion bar?
> Is it part (the extention) of the beam that reaches up
> to meet the top of the shock?

A torsion bar is a kind of spring. Rather than having coil springs , these cars
have torsion bars that twist as the wheels go up and down. There are actually 4
different torsion bars, plus a 5th which plays a different role, but that's
another story. There is a torsion bar for each wheel and each of them is
enclosed so that they are protected from the weather and from stone chips.

> > Shocks can get seized up and "frozen" in place. I
> > would expect them to let go
> > suddenly if you put an unusual load on them.
>
> Actually, now that I think about it, the car was hit
> before I got it in the front passenger area... I
> wonder if it did some structural damage that was
> exacerbated by putting pressure on that side?

It's not too likely. Any damage that was severe enough to get to the suspension
parts would be serious enough that it would be the top thing on your mind.