RE: [T3] Newbie with alot of questions

On 18 Jun 2003 at 12:09, AdamVW wrote:

> |     |  |  |
> 1   234
>
> I had it set at position "1", which is very little power.  I moved it to
> position "3" and it seems to be doing quite well.  I'm sure this is an
> obvious question, but what are the dangers/disadvantages/advantages in
> moving too far clockwise or counterclockwise?

Okay, those are the 68-71 (maybe earlier, too) timing marks. You should time to
the left mark (#1) which is TDC. This assumes you have the original
distributor. If you have something different then you may have to start at a
different idle setting. In general, the timing is set up so that the spark
fires at about 30 deg BTDC when the engine is above 2500-3000 rpm.

One common problem is for the mechanical advance part of the dist to be frozen
up. If this happens the spark doesn't advance at all as the rpms come up and
the engine will idle fine, but won't pull at all as it speeds up. This is EASY
to check if you have a timing light. Just watch to see if the timing changes as
you speed up the engine. It should.

You can also check this by grabbing the dist rotor and twisting it CW. It
should turn about 10-15 deg and then snap back on its own when you let go of
it. If yours fails either test, I can fix it, but it requires that the dist be
rebuilt.