Re: [T3] Head Studs: 8mm vs. 10mm torque

Hello-

> > No, that is incorrect.  The pitch (which is more of a relative thing...
i.e.
> > a coarse vs. fine, etc.) figures into the coefficient in a minor way.
>
> I disagree.

It's not up for agreement or disagreement: it's not an opinion.  It's a fact
that I'm simply restating.

I'm sorry, I mean no offense, but trust me.  My education and profession are
to know this stuff.  Furthermore, I've used it a whole bunch of times to
design new elements for applications (including head studs for Porsche, VW,
and Corvair applications).

> A screw thread is nothing more than an inclined plane wrapped into
> a helix.

That is correct.  It is nominally a 60¼ angle thread, too.

> Once you realize this, it is clear that the only thing that makes a
> difference is the amount of advancement per turn.

Well, that's not correct.

> > I'm not pulling this stuff out of my butt.  This is from standard
mechanical
> > engineering formulae.
>
>  Please cite your source.

Pick up any standard machine elements text or handbook.  They _all_ have it
in there.

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.lnengineering.com