Re: [T3] Newbie with alot of questions

On 17 Jun 2003 at 22:42, Adam Morrison wrote:

> The clamp bolt on the distributor was impossible to get to without removing
> parts around it, and it was too close to the clamp itself to be able to get a
> socket on it.  I replaced this bolt with a hex head one of the same size.  In
> order to get the bolt out, I had to actually remove the distributor,

That clamp BOLT should have it's head welded to the clamp, leaving the nut, on
the end of the long spacer, positioned so that you can just barely reach it
from above with an open end wrench. You have to reach down between the fan
housing and the flap shaft that runs across, just in front of the housing.

If this has been changed by someone who didn't understand (common) how this was
supposed to work, you might want to find a correct replacement type 3 dist
clamp. They are different from all the other VW clamps.

> I set the timing to what the Bentley said (as I understood it), and it seems
> okay, except that it has VERY LITTLE power when you first start going.  It
> gets okay at about 10-15 mph.

This doesn't sound right. Either it's timed wrong, or your vacuum advance is
not working (also common.) Both are fixable.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org