From: phil cain [mailto:bearsvw2000@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 6:17 AM
To: tristessa@pon.net; type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Heads? Studs?

Hal, Things are looking grim for you, I don't think
retorquing the heads will do any good in your case.
the overhaul company must not have put case savers
into the case when it was rebuilt. I rebuild engines
and I have never had a stud pull out after casesavers
have been installed. Also I have seen many people try
to save engines by retorquing the heads, with no luck
I might say. The only option that you have is to pull
the engine apart and install case savers, if you
install the big case saver studs they will ruin the
case for installing the case saver inserts. Phil