RE: [T3] Engine started! As did new problems...

Jim, et. al.,
        I ran into a few problems removing the pulley housing.  The first
is that whoever had installed it used screws instead of bolts, so I had a
hell of a time removing them in the tight spaces (I had to remove three
with a flathead bit and a vice grip), so I need to know what sort of
bolts I need to get to replace those with so that it is easier to put
back and easier to get out if I ever have to again.  The second is that
it turns out the air bellows weren't completely secured to the housing,
and so that is another part I have to straighten out on the housing to
get it on, but after that do I need a hose clamp, or something else to
keep it sealed?  The bellows also have two small cuts/holes, should I
replace it or get something to seal the cuts/holes?  And what would I use
to seal it?  The third is that the muffler is in the way and is
preventing the housing from clearing the bottom of the crankshaft, so now
I have to remove the muffler...and replace it since I found a bunch of
holes in the damned thing.  Any suggestions on what sort of muffler I
should get?  I would like to get a performance one, but I won't be able
to mod the engine for a while, so I need one that will work well with
stock and non.
        I was told that the engine may have died--or at least this could
have contributed to it--from overheating.  Should I worry about
overheating with all the gaps in the housing, the gaps in the elbows from
the muffler connecting to the crankcase, etc.?  Also, for the elbows, do
I need new ones, or simply the seals that go around them (the ones that
were there have dried up and more or less fell apart)?  Could someone
direct me to what other gaskets, what other things I should check for
tightness, etc. for the cooling system?  If this is easily found in the
Bentley, then I'll just wait till that arrives.
        I tightened the lower head nuts to somewhere between 20 and 25
foot pounds (my torque wrench only has notches for the 5lbs marks with
only a small area between them), probably more in the 23-24 area, yet the
sound remains from the #3 cyl area.  I haven't been able to perform a
compression test since the bellows are off and the housing is loose, so
I'm going to wait until it is all back together before I even consider
starting the engine again.  You (Jim) mentioned that it is normal for
there to be some leakage past the rings, but I can't hear the air noise
except for #3 either when turning the engine myself or when it is
running, and the noise is also noticeable (although more faintly) when
the engine is running.
        Then I have some questions with the front end suspension.  As I
have mentioned, my car had been towed and they had fucked up the front
end (the tower didn't remove the jack and jack stand, but instead
pulled/pushed the car off them with the towing equipment) and now the
tires won't clear and the front end is at least an inch lower, probably
2" or more though.  I know the shocks are completely shot and I need new
ones, and I was trying to find the steering knuckle to see if it had been
damaged, but I couldn't find anything I could clearly identify as the
steering knuckle, and everything else looked as it should...then again, I
really don't have much of an idea of how it should look.  Where is the
steering knuckle?  What else should I check?  I took some digital
pictures of the front end suspension if anyone would be interested in
looking at them and giving me an opinion.  As regards the shocks though,
any suggestions on some good high quality shocks?  The best I could get
that is.
        Does anyone know what size/type/etc. bolt I need for the engine
tin below the push rods?  I've only got two out of four on both of the
pieces, and I don't think it is anything serious but I would like to
replace them.
        It seems I got a project car without even knowing it=)  Just
about every time I go to fix one thing, I find another problem (the car
would probably run fine, hell better than it did, once I get an AAR and
fix the front suspension, but I want it to be top notch and to prevent
even more expensive problems from occurring)--at least I've got a hobby
now.  The Bentley hasn't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to getting
it soon!
        Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Christopher J. Valade