Re: [T3] The long and short of it

On 15 Jun 2003 at 17:25, The Shack Family wrote:

> So, here I am.  I have the two drive shafts off.  And I am in need of advice of
> where to go from here.  I removed the driver side shaft first.  Put the car in
> gear and the noise persisted.  Removed the passenger side shaft and the noise
> reduced.  I believe the noise is coming from within the transmission, but am not
> sure.  Very new to this level of maintenance.

> '72 Square AT/FI

Does it happen with the engine running, but the car standing still?

Does it happen in all gears, including N?

Grab the fan housing and make sure that it is still securely fixed to the
engine; there should be no play between the housing and the engine case.

Turn the engine over by hand, using a wrench on the generator shaft nut, and
see what you hear/feel. Is the crank pulley tight on the shaft?

Look under the engine, where it meets to the AT. Look up thru that hole. Can
you see anything unusual there? Anything loose or broken?