Re: [T3] It's running better but it's Smoking!!

On 15 Jun 2003 at 23:00, JBRIGS wrote:

> My '73 fastback is running better with it's replacement FI computer,
> however, I took it on a 20 mile drive the other day and there was smoke
> coming out of the air vents and rear wheel wells. It appears that both of
> the valve covers are leaking onto the heat exchangers.

Use good gaskets, the ones that look like black rubberized cork are good, the
ones that are just plain beige cork are often too thin.

Clean the gasket surface on the head so there is nothing sticking up that your
finger can feel.

You can use gasket sealant between the gasket and the cover, but never glue the
gasket to the head.

The spring bails pull DOWN to get the covers off. If they've ever been pulled
UP then they will be stretched and won't seal until they are replaced or bent
back into shape, which is difficult.

> Upon further inspection, the pipe connecting the heat exchanger to the
> box under the rear seat is completely gone on the passenger side!! My
> heater channels have rusted out, so I'm not too worried about getting
> heat inside of the car at this point.

The HE to body tube is not necessary. You won't hurt anything by running
without it.

> I'm still very interested in finding a new fuel tank sending unit as
> running out of gas is never fun!

I can probably repair yours.