[T3] The long and short of it

Alright here's the picture...

Square's loaded down with bear essentials for an overnight camping trip an
hour away.  Kids loaded, cars running, we're cruising.  Sunroof is open.
Nice jams on the radio and the two year old finally fell asleep.  Looking
like a nice ride down the road.

--Then--

Approximately 12 miles into the trip the car begins to vibrate and emit a
low, shrill noise.  We precede to pull over to determine the cause of the
problem.  Get out.  Remove my shades and precede to diagnos the problem.
couldn't locate any problems.  Go to get up.  CRUNCH!!!  There goes the
glasses.  Deep inhale.

Return to the open road.  The noise is now a horrible grinding,
reverberation.  Time to turn around.  Now, comes the long prayer as I
knowingly inflict more damage upon whatever is broken as I attempt to make
it back home.

Kids are ticked, wife is frantic, and I am pretty crossed.  A beautiful
moment...

--Anyway--

So, here I am.  I have the two drive shafts off.  And I am in need of advice
of where to go from here.  I removed the driver side shaft first.  Put the
car in gear and the noise persisted.  Removed the passenger side shaft and
the noise reduced.  I believe the noise is coming from within the
transmission, but am not sure.  Very new to this level of maintenance.  If
you are in the Portland, OR vicinity and believe you could assist in
determining source of problem.  I would be highly appreciative of your time.
Happy Father's day to all you other dad's out there.

Chris Shackelford
'72 Square AT/FI