Re: [T3] distributor removal - how?

On 14 Jun 2003 at 15:30, Edward Morris wrote:

> I loosened the hold down nut and began lifting the
> distrubutor body.  However, before the bracket cleared
> the hold-down stud I ran into another obstacle.
>
> There's some kind of 'round bar' attached to the
> underside the distr. body that catches on a transverse
> rod just forward of the cooling shroud, preventing any
> further upward movement. The round bar has a
> front-back orientation.

Look at the end of the "round bar." There is a nut there. You can reach that
nut with an open end wrench and loosen it. That is what you normally have to do
to adjust the dist timing; it releases the grip of the clamp on the dist.

Once that nut is loose (don't remove it!) you will find that you can tilt the
clamp, with respect to the dist, enough to clear the mounting stud. Then you
can turn the dist/clamp enough to get it out from underneath the transverse
rod.

It's an unusual system, but it will all be clear once you have it all apart and
you can see everything.

Hint: Don't overtighten the clamp when you reinstall the clamp. It only needs
to be tight enough to keep the dist from turning. Overtightening will distort
the clamp and cause other problems.