Re: [T3] parts source/return to boston

On 7 Jun 2003 at 16:54, Kevin Guarnotta wrote:

> I was able to take the lower tube from behind the fresh air box out, it was
> totally junked up with stuff...hopefully that is the reason for water on the
> drivers side floor.

While you have that tube out, you should also form a wire into a hook and see
if there is any debris in the bottom of the airbox that you can rake out. I've
had them clog up again right away sometimes, when I didn't get everything out
of the systems.

> the windshield washer system appears to be working, although it leaks a
> little air at the two connection points(near the tire and at the top of the
> windshield washer fluid container). basically it only leaks when the hose it
> bent a little. any ideas on sealing those?

There should be a short second piece of hose slipped over the main hose at
these points. This keeps a little extra clamping pressure on the hose to nipple
seal and is usually sufficient. There should also be the same kind of little
rubber sleeve on the dash end of the hose that runs from the reservoir to the
dash.

> I tried to replace the horn ring, I picked up another at the Sacramento
> Bug-o-Rama. It has the exact same part number, but it is not the same horn
> piece-as it is missing the hole in it where the horn wire goes through. Also the
> exiting horn is very hard to honk the horn(undue amouts of pressure)that may
> explain why the previous owner accidentally broke it.

The 3 bolts that hold down the horn ring are special step screws. They have
nylon insulating washers under their heads and external star lockwashers at the
threaded ends. If someone has put in something different then the travel won't
be right. I've seen several cases where the star washers had been lost and the
horn had a "hair trigger" but I can't visualize a situation that would make the
horn hard to press. Does all your hardware in there look original?

> Who do you usually purchase your parts from, is there anyone you would
> recommend that deals with type 3 specifically? I usually buy my parts from
> ronnie at oldvolks.com, he kind of specializes in buses. he could probably
> help with my type 3 leads, but someone that is specialized in type 3's might be
> more helpful.

There are many people here on the list who are good sources of parts. I am
among them. You are likely to get better prices, and much more likely to get
the correct parts, if you try here first.