Re: [T3] Good News and a question

On 7 Jun 2003 at 17:44, JBRIGS wrote:

> I finally got the car back from the mechanic and it runs great!! It turns
> out that only two of the fuel injectors were actually working most of the
> time which explains my lack of power. The circuit board inside of the
> computer had burned spots on it. He tracked down a used computer.

Make sure you got the right computer. The wrong one will certainly work better
than the dead one, but not as well as the right one. Give me your year and I
can tell you which ECU you should have.

> Anyway, on to
> the next problem. My gas gauge is not working at all. It was reading half a tank
> even when it was full. I removed the sending unit and opened it up to find rust
> on the shaft that was keeping the float from making it to the top. I cleaned up
> the shaft so that the float moves freely and reinstalled the unit. Now I have no
> reading at all! The thin wires inside look fine. I'm also still getting the
> occasional smell of gas inside of the car even though ther is no visible leak.
> Any hints on fixing the gauge.

Does "no reading at all" mean it always reads empty or full?

Gas smell is MOST likely the overflow hose under the RF fender. Look under your
wheel well when you fill up for gas. If it spills out there then it will smell
and you'll get water in your tank when it rains. Fix this quickly.

Other possibilities are the hoses on top of the gas tank, under the gas tank,
and in the engine compartment.

Exhaust smell, especially if the engine is running rich, are often confused
with gas smell. Rich running would be a separate problem.