Re: [T3] TMI vendor / what else do I need?

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 10:46, BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com wrote:
> Greg M. wrote:
> >It looks like TMI doesn't sell directly.  Do folks have
> >recommendations for a TMI reseller with decent prices and good
> >service?
>
>  I've used Cal Pacific / J Bugs several times. They offer good friendly,
> helpfull sevice. When I did my Notch 2 years ago, I told them that I have the 64
> style front seats, not the 66 style, and they sent me exactly what I ordered. I
> think they are now offering pre-formed seat padding for type3s too. When I
> got my kit, they even set the interior video for free with it. I watched the
> video (they were doing a 67 bug) first, then did the seats, door panels and
> headliner (boy was that a chore as it is alot harder than the video shows).The
> first TMI interior kit I bought was from J Bugs back in 1991 for my wife's 70
> Fastback. I had to tell them that my 70 used the earlier style 68 & 69 style
> headrest, and got exactly what I ordered then too. You really just need to be aware
> of the differences in the seats though, so you can get a correct match of
> parts, as VW used different styles at different times. I hope this helps, and
> gives you a little more info to go with what everyone else has said.

Many years ago, when I was a teenager, I worked in an upholstery shop. I
installed the seat covers. One of the main tricks we used was to warm
the covers before installing them. We had a plywood box with a closet
rod across it near the top, and a heat lamp in the bottom, with a
thermostat. the warm covers will stretch slightly while warm, and you
can get them tighter. You DO NOT want them too tight though, as they can
tear.
I think that maybe a hair dryer might be a big help for the first time
install. Gives a little more time to "adjust" the seat covers.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT