Re: [T3] tuneup questions

On 5 Jun 2003 at 9:38, Hal Sullivan wrote:

> 6/5/2003 7:46:10 AM, Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org> wrote:

> >hose to get the fitting onto the grease nipple (also called a Zerk fitting, I
> >don't know why.)
>
> Zerk is the name of the grease fitting design that's commonly used these
> days.  Before the Depression there were at least two designs being used by
> US auto manufacturers (maybe more, I'm not sure), and the other style I'm
> aware of was Alamite.  Totally incompatible designs; Alamites were
> cylindrical, with two tabs (like an 1156 bulb) and a spring-loaded ball
> inside for a checkvalve.

Okay, so it's a brand name. I should have guessed that. Zerk fittings ALSO have
a ball and check valve inside, they're just pretty small.

I think it's spelled Alemite. My '68 came with some kind of special Alemite
warrantee. I never did understand it, but it was something thrown in by the
dealer. I'm not sure, but I may have seen those fittings on something,
somewhere. I had no idea they were Alemite fittings.

BTW, Hal's post also had a "Reply to:" header in it, pointing to him, not the
list.
--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org