Re: [T3] Rear Torsion bars rubber donuts

Hello Shad,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shad Laws" <shad@lnengineering.com>

> Hello-
> You suffer a common problem... your trailing arms are worn out.
>
> The camber of your rear suspension is ~80% determined by the trailing
arms.
> The bushings on the inner end of the trailing arms don't go bad very
easily,
> although sometimes the pivot bolt falls out (make sure it's still there
:-).
> What usually happens is that with age, the weak little VW trailing arms
> bend.

I had never even considered those- that sounds like major work! Come to
think of it they do look very rusty- I keep meaning to clean them up and
paint them.
So how do I measure/tell if they are really bad? Or should I just assume
that they are because of the sagging?

> The spring-plate bushings go bad with age very often.  However, the thing
> they're most responsible for is toe.  It is a good idea to replace them,
as
> the ability for your car to maintain a constant toe will GREATLY help
> handling, but it likely won't help very much with the excessive camber
> problem.

So would you recommend changing just the outers or doesn't that make sense
without the inners as well? I think I'll try these first and see what
happens.

> If you want, you can get early (83-85.5) 944 trailing arms.  They are the
> identical package size, track width, stub axle configuration, bearings,
etc.
> as VW, only they have extra interal reinforcement and are 10-15 years
> younger.

Sounds like a lot of work- but will investigate. I've got an old porsche
place quite close and last time I dropped by to say hello I didn't get the
condecending response I thought I'd get when they saw my car- they actually
admired it! (rust and all!)

> Take care,
> Shad Laws

Same to you, and thanks