Re: [T3] Rear Torsion bars rubber donuts

Hello-

> The rear end of my car is not as pert as I would like- its all a bit saggy
> and the wheels kind of splay out a bit too much for my liking. Where the
> torsion bar housings poke through the oblong shaped bolt on plate on the
> side of the spring plates, they are not central in the hole but nearly
touch
> it at the top.

You suffer a common problem... your trailing arms are worn out.

The camber of your rear suspension is ~80% determined by the trailing arms.
The bushings on the inner end of the trailing arms don't go bad very easily,
although sometimes the pivot bolt falls out (make sure it's still there :-).
What usually happens is that with age, the weak little VW trailing arms
bend.

The spring-plate bushings go bad with age very often.  However, the thing
they're most responsible for is toe.  It is a good idea to replace them, as
the ability for your car to maintain a constant toe will GREATLY help
handling, but it likely won't help very much with the excessive camber
problem.

If you want, you can get early (83-85.5) 944 trailing arms.  They are the
identical package size, track width, stub axle configuration, bearings, etc.
as VW, only they have extra interal reinforcement and are 10-15 years
younger.

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.lnengineering.com