Re: Re: [T3] Car trailer? Need advice...

Luis...where are you from?
-------Original Message-------
From: "Luis R. Colon" <fastback@sontropical.com>
Sent: 05/30/03 08:31 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Car trailer? Need advice...

> On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 03:20, Dave Hall wrote:
> > I am considering buying a car trailer to haul the Fastback around.
What type
> should I consider?

There are a couple of towing basics that I have not seen mentioned that
should at least be clarified.  You mentioned that you have a truck with
a V6 and asked if that was enough to tow a car.  Here is how you figure
it out:

Maximum Trailer Weight
Check the owners manual of your vehicle for the Maximum Trailer Weight
figure.  This will be relative to the Engine/Transmission/final drive
gearing that you have.  You need to make sure that the trailer weight +
car weight do not exceed this figure.  If you do exceed the maximum
trailer weight specified by your vehicles manufacturer you can/will
damage the transmission.

Hitch Capacity
Your hitch needs to be strong enough to handle the trailer + car
weight.  There are different classes of Hitches (I, II, III,V).  You
will need a minimum of a class III hitch (Gross Trailer Weight 5000lbs /
Tongue Weight 500lbs).  A class II (GTW 3500lbs / Tongue 300lbs) will
probably not be sufficient.  Talk to your trailer dealer about the
tongue weight and make sure that you will not exceed the specs on your
hitch.  You don't want it to come apart on the freeway ;>

Luis